Friday, March 30, 2007

2007: A HAL ODYSSEY

"Good afternoon gentlemen, I am a HAL 9000."

Looks familiar? Haha... back in 1968 where computers are all in the third generation(citation needed), movie director, Stanley Kubrick was very optimistic to what will happen to computers today. LOL! Look at your screen, what are you guys touching? Is it a large switch, large dials or a huge monitors displaying a DOS-based text?

All these could be a strange things for those who born after 1968(me too), but for those who are a sci-fi lover, just like me, will turn back past a few year or even more, (with the help of nowadays borned HAL), just to see what people at these ages think about us today. Just to remember, this could bring the opposite too, what about us facing a few decades ahead? Are we thinking the same thing? Perhaps no. This is because, our brain is no more optimistic, where we are tend to solve problems according to the requirements, not the dreams. Anyway this is just my perception. Maybe there will be a more accurate answers out there.

Okay, back to the point. According to my first line, back a few months ago, the adventure begins. This happens when I was shocked by a Big Black Monolith, Ooopss.... Sorry... Its the Big Black Hp 9600 Monitor, where in there there were some people posted the very best shot of movie entitled "2001: A Space Odyssey", where I starred, shocked just like the Extra Terrestrial Wave. I watched it, and watched it, again and again. I couldn't understand what is the ending means, however I decided to buy it from Amazon.com soon.

What has inspired me so much from this movie is its only famous character, the Hal 9000 series. What surprised me much is, my problem(from the last post) which I can relate it here so far seems to tell me that I can build this machine.

WHAT?? Yes, Its true, this idea only comes from my mind and my dreams. In my dreams there is a very intelligent computer(my modified old pc in my dream) - begans instructing me this and that, talking, laughing, suggesting and even making its own decision - whether to shutdown or not. And what really miracled me is this dreams keep repeating and repeating after all the times. (Look at my incoming post of new blogs: Deja Vu). After I sensed it, this may be the result of my creation soon. I've quite gathered the ideas rapidly, previously and later on(of course) about the basic design and architecture of the machine. Well, in my bathroom, in my bedroom, even in my office or LRT, some time these ideas comes like a lightning. It wondered me very fast and suddenly I get the ideas from it quite quickly, by relating my previous knowledge and studies, understanding and interest in the computing history and technologies. I keep browse the websites, looking for the greatest supercomputers, and I've found ones - the talking IBM 740/7000 series. I noticed that this computer also inspired Arthur C. Clarke in making the wonderful scene in the movie.

Afterall, my ideas, my thaughts, my planning and programs has comes to my fingertips. From the moment I keying in this post, till I start the very first step of phase of the basic design or architecture, I can't turn away round. I will keep focus and concentrating until I succeed. The huge things should start on the small thing. Like some person said on the midpress websites, there should be a simple equation that triggers out the larger and larger equations, and soon the equations becomes complexed, just like the theories of a Big Bang. I believe this, and I've found myself following it.

I think maybe sometime I will create this most powerful computer evolution like the one Bill Gates created before, like the Dos before the Windows, the Windows before the Internet, the Internet before the...? And this could be my destiny. I hope one day computer may talk to you, just like your pet. It's very heuristic. It can act like a human. It has the expression. It has the soul. It has everything BUT...

..the error. Haha... the 9000 series is the error-less kind known. So visit my developer blog on the post entitled "HAL project 2007: The life and beyond" Happy viewing and enjoy the "What-will-come-next" fantasies in your dream, perhaps in realities!

Alias, keep your pod bay door always open, before something bad happens to you!

No comments: